History of
Gustave Roussy

Frise Banner: 
History of<br>Gustave Roussy

History of the Institute

Professor Gustave Roussy was a specialist in pathological anatomy. In 1921 he established the first outpatient service for patients with cancer in Jean L’Hermitte’s department at the Paul-Brousse Hospital in Villejuif. Even at that time his intention was to combine patient care with research and teaching.

In 1925, the Seine Conseil Général (General Council) established the "Paris Suburban Regional Cancer Centre". Professor Gustave Roussy was its director and it was located on a site adjacent to that of the Paul-Brousse Hospital, where it remained until 1980. The Institut du Cancer (Cancer Institute) was recognised to be of public benefit in 1927 and, after the death of its founder in 1950, it became the Institut Gustave-Roussy.

The growth in the Institute’s work-load led to the decision in 1964 to construct a new site at Hautes-Bruyères in Villejuif. This was commissioned in 1980. 

The Institute continued to develop in order to provide suitable modern equipment for its patients and for research and treatment teams: research buildings, laboratories, and consultation units (2005), and a molecular medicine building (2013). 

In 2013 the Institut Gustave-Roussy became Gustave Roussy.

Catégorie de la page: