The Gustave Roussy Surgical and Interventional Department is responsible for surgical treatment of cancer in adults in the following specialties: gastroenterology, dermatology, ENT, breast disease, gynaecology and endocrinology, as well as surgical treatment of sarcomas.
The Department includes several units:
- Breast Cancer Surgery
- Visceral and Sarcoma Surgery
- Gynecological Surgery
- Head and Neck Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Operating Rooms
- Surgical Radiology
The surgical techniques practised range from minimally invasive surgery employing endoscopic techniques and reconstructive plastic surgery through to radical procedures.
Various innovative techniques are also in regular use. These include:
- X-ray guided surgery;
- localisation of sentinel nodes;
- complex hepatectomy procedures;
- intrahepatic radiofrequency ablation;
- treatment of peritoneal carcinomatosis by hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC);
- pseudo-continent perineal colostomy;
- surgery in irradiated fields (small bowel, pelvis);
- isolated limb perfusion for limb sarcomas;
- immediate post-mastectomy reconstructive surgery;
- salvage surgery;
- radical gynaecological surgery;
- technically sophisticated laparoscopic surgery (or videoscopic laparoscopic surgery);
- surgery of rectal tumours.