History of the Institute
Professor Gustave Roussy was a specialist in pathological anatomy. In 1921 he established the first outpatient service for patients with cancer in Jean L’Hermitte’s department at the Paul-Brousse Hospital in Villejuif. Even at that time his intention was to combine patient care with research and teaching.
In 1925, the Seine Conseil Général (General Council) established the "Paris Suburban Regional Cancer Centre". Professor Gustave Roussy was its director and it was located on a site adjacent to that of the Paul-Brousse Hospital, where it remained until 1980. The Institut du Cancer (Cancer Institute) was recognised to be of public benefit in 1927 and, after the death of its founder in 1950, it became the Institut Gustave-Roussy.
The growth in the Institute’s work-load led to the decision in 1964 to construct a new site at Hautes-Bruyères in Villejuif. This was commissioned in 1980.
The Institute continued to develop in order to provide suitable modern equipment for its patients and for research and treatment teams: research buildings, laboratories, and consultation units (2005), and a molecular medicine building (2013).
In 2013 the Institut Gustave-Roussy became Gustave Roussy.
The Directors of Gustave Roussy
- Professor Gustave Roussy
Director from 1925 to 1947
- Professor René Huguenin
Director from 1947 à 1956
- Professor Pierre Denoix
Director from 1956 to 1982
- Doctor Yves Cachin
Director from 1975 to 1978
- Professor Maurice Tubiana
Director from 1982 to 1988
- Professor Robert Flamant
Director from 1988 to 1994
- Professor Thomas Tursz
Medical Oncologist and Research Scientist
Director from 1994 to 2010
- Professor Alexander Eggermont
Director from 2010